 General / 6004
Re: Tightening Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:25:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Greg Majewski writes:
Hello,
I am starting to work with a large fountain type deal that wraps around the
current building I am creating. I want to use actual water, but my first
attempt in channelling it left the entire thing soaking wet; the bricks were
not tight enough and water seeped through them. I have tightened them as best
I can, but they still have too many gaps. Does anyone have any
reccomendations on how to fix this? And while I'm on the subject of water,
does anyone know if pneumatics can pump water? I'm thinking of using a pump
to get the water to the top of the building, where it will cascade down a
trough.

First, Yes - the pneumatic pumps will pump water with no problems.  I use two
of them sitting in the basin of a castle baseplate (to catch the water) to
create a small fountain on our train layout.  The problem I get is the water
doesn't want to follow the proper path back to the pumps, so I get some
leakage.  Oh well, blame the designer - me!

Have you tried sealing the bricks with rubber cement?  If you put a thin layer
across the gaps, that should seal, without being too obvious.  (And it can be
removed easily too!)  Or perhaps some cling-film wrap like you'd use to cover
food?

This sounds like a neat project - good luck!

John1
  (of course, remove the ".nospam" to reply...)