 General / 56044
56043  |  56045
Subject:
Very First LEGO Sets...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2013 00:22:51 GMT

For my LEGO DVD, I broke the early basic sets chapter into 2 halves, both of
which are much bigger than on my early CD.

The Automatic Binding Bricks of 1949-54 are just a few sets and 2 parts packs...
but they are among the most complex and least understood of all LEGO sets.

Here's a link to an online version of my earliest LEGO DVD chapter on ABB, very
mysterious early LEGO sets... which the TLG archives have very little info on...
http://www.youblisher.com/p/600446-LEGO-DVD-Download-Chapter-2-Automatic-Binding-Bricks-PRIMA/

TLG started sales in 1949.  Then in 1950 they licensed a company in Sweden
called Geas Konstharts (of Gislaved Sweden)... to produce some Automatic Binding
Bricks sets in Southern Sweden.  Those were not at all popular, so by 1951 Geas
ended the license to produce LEGO there.  Neither TLG nor Geas (still a plastics
maker today)... have any info on those early Swedish sets.

The next foreign foray was November 1953... when Svein Stromberg & Co. of Oslo
Norway started production there of Automatic Binding Bricks sets.  Norway had a
toy import restriction (until 1961), so parts had to be made there (Oslo) via a
subsidiary called A/S Norske LEGO... the production continued...

Then in 1954 A/S Norske LEGO produced sets under the "PRIMA" name for sale once
again in Sweden... these were LEGO type parts (with identical sets)... but they
were made of Styrene instead of Cellulose Acetate.  By 1955 TLG established LEGO
sales in Sweden, so regular "LEGO Mursten" sets were produced there.  These
short lived PRIMA sets use the same LEGO molds, just without the word LEGO on
the parts.

Enjoy!
Gary Istok
P.S. Downloads (with free updates in 6 months) are available for 8 hours or less
delivery for 688MB of data to your desktop.  See Marketplace for details.