 General / 56000
55999  |  56001
Subject:
LEGO Set Variations....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 03:22:21 GMT

TLG could have made life easier for collectors... but there must be a little bit
of Sadistic nature in their mindset... ;)

Over the years they've produced a mind boggling amount of changes to so many
sets.  Sometimes it was a design changes, or in some rare cases a logo change...
I've often told people that my 2,800 page collectors guide (on DVD/download)
would only be about 600 pages long if TLG only did 1 little teeny weeny thing...
STOPPED messing with our minds and not make so many set variations!

One of my favorite LEGO sets of all time is the 325 Shell Station of 1966-70.
This is in the classic Town Plan scale (door= 3 bricks tall), with the first
classic yellow windows/door.  This set also had unique garage doors of the early
1955-70 flip-up variety.  Because this set was produced for 5 years (66-70),
there were quite a few changes and variations to this set, which ironically was
never sold in USA or Canada.

This set was sold in continental Europe with trans-clear garage doors outlined i
yellow panels.  In Britain, Ireland and Australia, this set had solid colored
yellow doors, although the box top shows the continental trans-clear versions.

Also since in 1969 the Royal Dutch Shell corporation changed their logo from
upper case "SHELL" to upper/lower case "Shell"... the set came with a unique 2x4
"SHELL" brick from 1966-69 (either embossed or printed on), and a 1x6 "Shell"
brick from 1969-70 (this same brick was used in later sets such as the 149 Shell
Refinery Train Set, and other sets).

Not only did the logo change, but also the decals on the 1:87 Shell Tanker
truck.  Early versions had "SHELL", and later versions had "Shell"... with
several variation to the Shell emblem as well (sometimes as a square emblem,
other times as an oval, other times missing altogether).

There were also variations in the Shell gas pumps.... ARRRGGG.... so many
changes... it makes online LEGO inventory Admins crazy!

But I love all these variations... it's what makes the 8,000+ LEGO set database
more like 20,000+ if you include all the little changes that I have spent 6
years pulling my hair out over... but since I love playing LEGO Sherlock
Holmes... it keeps some sanity in me....  Here's some of the variations of which
I speak... and this is just 1 set!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/8410150912/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Cheers,
Gary Istok