 General / 55833
Re: LEGO owned by Mattel?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 00:46:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   Right you are David... it would not be possible to buy TLG without having a majority stake in KIRKBI, the family owned holding company for TLG...

Well, there would be two options there. One would be to gain control of KIRKBI and use that ownership to force a sale of TLG. The other would be to buy TLG outright from KIRKBI...but I’d watch where you stand after pulling that off, since the world would clearly be due to crack in half at that point.

I’m sure that Mattel or Hasbro or whoever it was did nothing more than submit an unsolicited proposal to purchase TLG, which I’m equally as sure was very politely declined. But they were in bad shape at the time (and if they were losing money, that makes me wonder how the KIRKBI shareholders were impacted), and in the regular business world, that’s a point where an offer to buy the company outright would be seriously considered. I mean, look what happened to The Muppets, once while Jim Henson was still running the show, and again some time after his death.

   The principal owners if KIRKBI are the 2 children of Godtfred Kirk Christiansen (son of LEGO founder Ole Kirk Christiansen). They are Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen (KKK), and his older sister Gunhild Christiansen Johansen. Kjeld’s different last name spelling stems from a typo on his birth certificate... and he kept it that way. Last I heard their elderly widowed mother (Godtfred’s wife) was still alive as well, but the children have the principal shares.

And their respective children also own stakes in KIRKBI, from what I understand, though none of them were interested in taking over helming The LEGO Company when Kjeld Kirk stepped down, which is how we ended up with the first CEO who is not a member of the Christiansen family.