 General / 55608
Re: AFOL History Project - Redux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 22:50:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Abner Finley wrote:
What about A.T.L. (Alt.Toys.Lego) News group?  It might not been as big or
popular as R.T.L. in 1994.  But A.T.L. did come before R.T.L. a year before or
about the same year as R.T.L.

Yeah, I haven't found a date for it yet-- supposedly in the ballpark of January
1993. I found one source referencing the start as 9 months prior to the proposal
for RTL, which happened in Oct of 1994.

Unfortunately, I think the archives for ATL (I've only looked on Google, maybe
there are others?) are incomplete. Elsewhere, there's mention of the first month
or so of ATL being flooded with fluffy "I love LEGO" posts and so forth. But I
don't see much of that in the early archive of ATL.

As for other sites 'pause.com',

I was a bit unclear on how that worked-- the history seemed to indicate that Lou
had a database of sets floating around already, and that he moved it to
pause.com for some reason. But why I'm not sure. Dunno if he worked for Pause,
or if Pause asked to have it on their site? I could only find the date that they
added the set guide.

'lugnet.com', and I think 'everything Lego'.

Huh-- I don't know if I'm familiar with "everything Lego". Sounds vaguely
familiar, but it may have been before my time. What was it?

There was someone also who had the first use of the LEGO domain name site.
Before the Lego lawyers send a letter.

Yeah, there were a couple that raised a stink. Digging through the Google
archives, I found a sizeable discussion about the wwwlego.homepages.com site,
which LEGO effectively forced to shut down.

Seems like starting around the fall of 1995, there were some discussions about
how to "protect" LEGO's image-- someone's fan site even received some hate mail
from an angry Californian who didn't want LEGO to have a theme park in Carlsbad!
But around then, people started working on ways to make their sites appear "less
official". I even hear that some people were talking directly with LEGO, helping
to derive the spirit of the old "Fair Play" document.

Anyway, after that discussion started blossoming, LEGO lawyers seemed to start
pursuing sites to take down their LEGO logo images, put up disclaimers, and take
the word "LEGO" out of their domain names.

DaveE