 General / 55258
Re: What's the story with all the recent mold changes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:20:15 GMT

I'm no expert in plastics (okay, I know nothing about plastics) but I'd like to
offer a few theories.

Technic 1x2 Brick - perhaps the failure/reject rate is lower with fewer sharp
corners for the plastic to have to flow into?  Functionally still identical
afaik; just aesthetically different.

Technic cylinder - this one might be to relieve pressure on the pins inside
them, though I agree, aesthetically it's not as nice as the old one.

1x1 cone - like you said, this one makes sense, though iirc, it was specifically
so little kids wouldn't shove parts too far onto the cone and crush them.

Can't find a picture of the 1x1 tile w/ clip, but again, these all seem to
functionally be backward compatible.  And in a few instances, they seem to be
repairing small flaws in the part, or trying to improve some element of their
function.  Likely, some of the old molds are wearing out for these parts as
well.

Certainly, it's not the first time it's happened, I sorta wish we still had the
old type 1 1x2 with handles.

-Stefan-