 General / 55257
55256  |  55258
Subject:
What's the story with all the recent mold changes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:38:04 GMT

Hey all,

It seems to me that since Lego began outsourcing their brick production, a lot
of needless mold changes have occurred.  The first one I noticed was the 1x2
brick with Technic axle hole (which no longer has the nice cross/plus design),
then the 1x2 Technic cylinder, which now has a slit in it (why?).  Then the 1x1
cone with the ridge at the top (the one change that makes sense), and the most
recent one has been the 1x1 plate with top clip (the outside edges of the clips
are no longer squared off but tapered).

Aside from the 1x1 cone, the other three alterations just don't seem necessary.
They're neither functional nor aesthetic.  Is TLG still in such dire financial
straits that they've been forced to cut such small corners in order to conserve
costs in their manufacturing process, or is there some other reason?

Being the cranky old-timer Lego fan that I am, it's often been difficult for me
to weather the many changes over the past few years.  It seems that backwards
compatibility (one of the cornerstones of my love & respect for the brick) is
being given less & less priority.

I don't want to be a total "when I was a kid it was WAY better" kind of guy, but
I'm curious how many other folks are feeling this way.

Dave S.