 General / 55014
55013  |  55015
Subject:
Neat marketing tip for Technic sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 04:22:04 GMT

We all know how TLG always includes instructions to build two different main models in their Technic range.

How about if they don’t tell people what the secondary model is on the box? IOW, you would only find out what the second model was after you bought the set and brought it home. Sure, AFOL sites would leak what the surprise build is, but the larger market consisting of the average mom or dad buying sets for junior in the stores would not have access to this leak. Of course, they would have to glue the box shut firmly to stop the curious from easily ripping open Technic boxes in the store.

Hints could be put on the box like big question marks over grayed out general shapes for instance (after all, a lot of people are very curious) maybe with text that would say something like:

“Instructions inside for building a surprise alternate set in addition to the main model”

And when it comes to System, I always loved the alternative models that used to be shown on the back of the boxes. Of course, since there were no instructions on how to build them, you had to guess how to make them since not all angles of the alternate were shown which was difficult at times. How about if they not only bring back alternates for current sets, but also include instructions on how to build them?