 General / 54983
54982  |  54984
Subject:
Booty Bay (Yes from World of Warcraft) <that one!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2008 02:13:47 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

My husband and I spent a year planning then a month building booty bay =)

Now, this isn't exactly a to-scale model of Booty Bay, but rather a Lego
adaptation of Booty Bay. The primary problem we had to solve was that the layout
of Booty Bay is sort of a lopsided 'U', which isn't very good for being easily
viewable while on display. So we sort of splayed the U shape out, so that it was
long and shallow, so you could see into more of it, and not have to look past a
mile of water to see most of it. It's 45" by 60", and we've tried to make it
recognizably Booty Bay in every way.

Display Dates and Locations
This model is already scheduled to be on display in two shows. First, a short,
one-day event (tomorrow), and then a 3month long display.
10/25/08, 1pm to 7pm: The Lego Store, Glendale Galleria. Glendale, CA
11/25/08 to 01/18/09: Balboa Model Railroad Museum, Balboa Park, San Diego, CA

Pictures
We really want everyone to come out and see it if you are within driving
distance, but for everyone who wants to see some pictures, here are some that I
just took. Note that this is for the show tomorrow, which has a slightly limited
space (30" by 60" instead of the full 45" by 60"), so the main dock has been
shortened significantly, and the island with the goblin statue has been moved in
closer to the town.

Inn and Bank Area - This shot shows many of the iconic pieces of Booty Bay; the
bank, the multi-level inn with a boat sticking out of it, the caught shark, the
vendors for the fishing contest, the gryphon and wyvern masters, Old Man
Hemming, and much more.
(http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/38028/BootyBay/InnBankArea.jpg)
Trades Area - Here you can see the small buildings that fill Booty Bay,
containing profession vendors and trainers, quest givers, all the elevated docks
they sit on, the waterfall, and much more.
(http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/38028/BootyBay/TradesArea.jpg)
Boat at Docks - A pirate ship is docked here (remember, this is currently setup
for tomorrows show, so the dock is cut off; the main dock will be much longer,
as you'd expect), and in the background you can see the large building of
vendors, with its belltower.
(http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/38028/BootyBay/BoatAtDocks.jpg)
Cave Entrance - The most significant change to the layout we had to do was to
move the entrance back to here.
(http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/38028/BootyBay/CaveEntrance.jpg)
Goblin Statue Island - As you sail into Booty Bay, you'll see this symbolic
statue, sitting on a small island. That island also happens to be inhabited by a
sea giant. Like the dock being shortened, we had to move this island closer to
the town for tomorrow's show, to fit in the smaller space.
(http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/38028/BootyBay/GoblinStatueIsland.jpg)
Shark And Fishing Contest - A closer shot of the scene outside the inn.
(http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/38028/BootyBay/SharkAndFishingContest.jpg)
Landro Longshot - Whenever you get a reward card from the WoW card game, you
come here to Landro, to claim your reward.
(http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/38028/BootyBay/LandroLongshot.jpg)
Chief Engineer Scooty and his Translocator - When members of the Horde want to
visit Gnomeregan, they come to Scooty, who can use his Translocator to send them
on their way.
(http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/38028/BootyBay/ScootyAndHisTranslocator.jpg)
Wyvern - The Horde fly in and out of Booty Bay on Wyverns. Here you can see one
resting on its perch, waiting for a rider.
(http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/38028/BootyBay/Wyvern.jpg)

There's a lot more to see in our highly detailed model, so I hope anyone who
can, comes to see us!