 General / 54823
Re: Legal to sell "reverse engineered" copies of LEGO stickers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:56:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Elroy Davis wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jeffrey Findley wrote:
Is it legal to sell "reverse engineered" copies of LEGO stickers?  Such as here:

<http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Onideus>

This guy is claiming that because they're "reverse engineered" from the
originals that they're not "copies" and are therefore exempt from copyright
protection.

I'm not sure it's even physically possible to reverse engineer an image.  He
could reverse engineer the process used to produce the stickers, but the images
themselves can't be taken apart.  Even if he's hand drawing each image line by
line, it still seems like it would be a copy of the original.

I'd be curious to hear the lawyer's arguments though.

I'm not sure they'll be able to stop laughing at the idea long enough to make
any arguments. But I could be wrong.

Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux