 General / 54526
Re: Official statement of the LEGO Group in reply to Wal-Mart Canada no longer selling LEGO products
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:46:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kirk Backstrom wrote:
As you may have already heard, Wal-Mart Canada is no longer carrying LEGO
products.

**snip**

This is a curious development, to say the least.  One can't help noting,
incidentally, that Mega Brands Inc. is based in Montreal and will likely benefit
handsomely from the suddenly transformed marketplace.

It's also kind of a reversal of what's happened recently in the US.  For various
reasons, Wal*Mart and other big-box retailers pared back their Mega Bloks
inventories in 2007, allowing LEGO a much greater proportional shelf-presence.
Perhaps the opposite will take place in Canada?

I don't know anything about the Canadian market, though; how is this likely to
affect the toy construction brick industry as a whole, if at all?

Dave!