 General / 53715
Re: Sometimes LEGO makes me crazy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 12:51:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Duane Collicott wrote:
   A while ago I built a wind tunnel, and I’ve been wanting to try out the Exo-Force turbines to see if they can provide any more propulsion than the propellers I’ve been using. After all, they have more blades and the blades have a greater pitch than the propellers.

Well I finally got around to it experimenting with them, and during my testing it seemed that when I ran them one way I had air movement coming from the center, and then from the perimeter when I ran them the other way.

So, I stopped them to take a closer look, and it turns out that the inner circle of blades are pitched one way and the outer circle blades are pitched the other way! What’s with that?

So, they’re completely useless to me. Of course, this also means the Exo-Force machines can’t fly!

Sounds like an interesting problem you’re facing. Although the blade area is still quite small, the LEGO Znap large wheels, 68mm (if you can find them) have a blade profile which should be able to drive a small wind tunnel. See this part below:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x335

You can also stack two together to get a six-bladed rotor, which helps somewhat. These are mounted on any standard Technic axle.

The issue is the small blade area. You really need more to drive a wind tunnel. These rotors would be excellent in use as functional water impellers.

You could try making your own drive fan in order to get larger blades.

This wind tunnel project sounds interesting - post pictures if you get some!

-Jordan

For a wind tunnel,