 General / 53493
Re: When did "smooth" slopes start appearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:53:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Elroy Davis wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Anyway, getting back to your original question.... I think that the new smooth
slopes are NEW parts with different uses, other than as regular roof slopes.
Otherwise, I do believe we would be seeing them in a lot more colors, and
definitely in a lot more different shapes.

I'd agree that they are different parts, but I'm not so sure about the new part.
I've got at least one slope that came in a promotional set from 1999 that has no
texture.  It has printing on it, so I assumed that was the reason.

-Elroy

The McDonald's promotional sets of 99 are the first I knew of the smooth slopes.
But they've printed on textured slopes before. I figured that perhaps the promos
were produced by a contractor, not the LEGO factory.

I see this as much less of an arbitary change than the color. Slopes were
originally meant for roofs, alomst exclusively during the first several years.
Besides, the texture means more plastic, and cutting costs without changing
overall quality is something LEGO has been trying hard to do. I'd much rather
lose the texture of slopes than lose more pigment, or strict size tolerances.

Although I understand the feeling of change-induced frustration, TLG has changed
their product SIGNIFICANTLY less than ANY other toy product I've ever looked at
in stores; heck maybe even ANY other commercial product. Be thankful they still
snap together.

Aaron