 General / 5326
Re: Clone bricks in auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 15:01:13 GMT

In your position, I would definitely contact the seller. Thirty percent
non-Lego certainly sounds excessive to me and, as Larry said, time elapsed
from point of sale is irrelavent.

I'm generally pretty lenient with sellers who obviously aren't Lego freaks
as long as the description isn't deceptive. To our trained eyes spotting
non-Lego in a box is a simple task but to the average person that stuff all
looks basically the same. Consider how many genuine pieces today don't have
classic studs or sockets. I'd much rather end up with a little extra junk
than have some well-meaning seller cull out all the special pieces they don't
think looks like Lego. But knowing the difference between "excellent"
condition and "beat up and dirty" isn't rocket science.

With how many "Lego" lots I've seen listed accompanied by a picture of what
is obviously not Lego (or at least lots of junk along with maybe a little
Lego) I don't generally bid on anything not accompanied by a picture unless
the description is very explicit and the seller seems to know something about
what they're selling.

Tying a couple lines from Mike's post together:

A while ago, I bought 11 pounds of Lego on an eBay auction listed as 6991 Lego
Racetrack.  I jumped at it, as it was a low price (due to not being listed as
monorail) and was happy to pay for the product, which was advertised as 11
pounds of Lego. • [...]
If I do get stuck, I at least got a full set of track and some stands as well
as some other items, but not what I would have considered a fair deal.

So in a way the seller's ignorance both benefitted and hurt you. I do not mean
to imply in any way that you are the one in error, that you gambled on a
poorly described lot and now have to live with it. Without knowing the exact
contents of the lot and how much you paid for it I naturally can't form an
opinion on what a fair deal would have been or what sort of adjustment would
make it fair now.

Bottom line: you *do* IMO have a legitimate gripe. 8 lbs Lego + 3 lbs worthless
crap does not equal 11 lbs Lego. Please let us know how the seller responds to
your concerns.

Doug