 Marketplace / Auctions / 1892
1891  |  1893
Subject:
Clone bricks in auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 05:08:03 GMT

A while ago, I bought 11 pounds of Lego on an eBay auction listed as 6991 Lego
Racetrack.  I jumped at it, as it was a low price (due to not being listed as
monorail) and was happy to pay for the product, which was advertised as 11
pounds of Lego.

Well, due to a wedding and honeymoon, it sat unopened when it arrived for
about a month.  Now that I have opened it, I discovered that it was missing
the monorail engine and car plates.  I can deal with incomplete sets.  What I
was disturbed about was approximately 3 pounds of clone bricks (and other
really non-Lego items like marbles, etc.), most of them not even close to
Lego.  Some were Tente, but most were very easy to pick out and looked almost
like the American Bricks (but not).

My question is this:  Do I have recourse after one month?  And how many clone
bricks is acceptable in a "Lego lot"?  5%?  10%?  Surely not 30%!  I have yet
to email the supplier (my ISP mail server is down AGAIN!) but would like some
feedback.

As a side note, for those of you about to bash on eBay, this issue could also
have happened on RTL or Lugnet, though not as easily due to the fact that we
are better informed on what is and isn't a Lego brick.

If I do get stuck, I at least got a full set of track and some stands as well
as some other items, but not what I would have considered a fair deal.
Perhaps it is "Caveat Emptor" but I would like to hear other people's thoughts
on this.

Mike