 General / 53156
53155  |  53157
Subject:
TCLTC Layouts Rendered in Sketch-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains.org.tcltc, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 04:11:15 GMT

I’m not sure how or why, but one day Ross started fiddling around with SketchUp and suddenly he’s rendering all of the iterations of the TLCTC layout. Apparently you can stretch pics across the 3D blank spaces, and you can get some cool results:

It is a quick way to CAD layouts, and the nice thing is that you can import your TrackDraw schematics right into SketchUp as well. Of course, these are simply snapshots of the layouts-- one can manipulate them 360 degrees to view at any angle with the program. It’s pretty wild for a graph paper guy like me! :-)

And Ross is going bonkers; now he is rendering our LEGO buildings to put on the layouts! Pics of those to come as he completes them!

I am finding this technique very helpful in planning out our future layouts, and it is a nice way to archive past layout versions, too.

JOHN