 General / 52897
Re: official products: LEGO Checkers and LEGO Dominoes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:07:21 GMT

Suz wrote:
Maybe these have been out for a while, but I just came across them at
a department store online:

<http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1155573147/ref=sr_1_1/602-3452986-3729434?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B000EMRVC4
LEGO Checkers>

<http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_13/602-3452986-3729434?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000F6RWP0
LEGO Dominoes>

Apparently University Games has licensed LEGO for making these boxed
products. Has anyone seen them? I wonder what they're like, but don't
really want to spend $28+ to find out. Personally, it seems almost
laughable to sell a box of 2 x 2 bricks as a set of checkers... and I
wonder how the dominoes are constructed (?)

Just last Thursday, at our local LEGO store, the manager had a copy of each
for showoff. They are $19.95 MSRP. These sets are definitely way overpriced.
The checkers set is a bunch of 2x2 DUPLO bricks, for at least twice the
normal cost of DUPLO. The dominoes set comes with 56 2x2 system bricks in
several colors, and 28 2x4 black plagtes, and again is way over priced.
These sets would probably be a lot more reasonable at $9.95.

It looks like the game board is just thick paper, or perhaps a thin sheet of
plastic-like material.

The more amusing thing to me for a childrens toy was the LEGO corkscrew...
Unfortunately I doubt it's compatible with DUPLO (definitely not system). It
was also $11.95 (which is more than the LEGO timer...). They also have new
large minifig head salt and pepper shakers. Sadly I doubt they connect to
system (unlike the old ones which while very simple had a 3x3 base - though
with a giant 3x3 stud on top).

Frank