 General / 52862
Re: Lego Vs. Superglue . . . Help me get unstuck, please!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 19:34:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Josh Breese wrote:
Hmmmm.  Interesting . . . Then maybe he didn't use superglue, because I
definately see some residue on some of the loose bricks I was able to pry apart.
The glue is clear, completely translucent, but on some of the brick i peeled
apart, I can see the actual glue itself.  So maybe it isn't a chemical bonding
agent, but some other type of model glue...
Also, on many of the pieces, it appears that he might have brushed it on after
he stuck it together, but I can't simply pull them apart.

Since you mentioned she might have gotten it from LLCA, I'm wondering if it's
possibly not GLUE, but MEK residue or GBL- the two options the model builders
use. MEK won't come loose in acetone, because it's not a glue, but a solvent the
molecularly bonds the plastic by temporarily softening the plastic. If that's
the case, I recommend a chisel, Xacto, and patience.

If it's GBL, acetone still probably wont work. It's a weird contact adhesive
unlike most others. Might have a very slight green tinge. Sometimes it's bond is
less strong than the LEGO's ABS, and a quick jerking motion might separate them.
Otherwise, I'd say Xacto and patience, or a really healthy dose of futility.

What parts are they, that you MUST remove them?