 General / 52839
Re: Long Term Packaging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 04:21:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz wrote:
Yellowing may not just be due to sun. A few years back, I opened some sealed
sets that were from the 70s. They had yellowed blue bricks (but not all the
blue bricks), so I assume there are other causes of yellowing than just UV
damage (and the boxes weren't faded, so it wasn't like they were sitting in
the window, and allowing some tiny amount of UV to get through - though that
could still be what was going on, even if there wasn't enough exposure to
fade the boxes).

That said, I have not noticed significant yellowing of my sorted brick, so
keeping it out of the sun should be all you really need to protect it for 4
years.

Frank

Frank, I noticed the same thing in regards to the yellowing of blue bricks in a
long ago sealed late 1960's set.  For me it was blue sloped bricks.

At least with Cellulose Acetate there are other known causes of damage to
bricks.  Both heat and humidity can play a part in the warping of CA bricks.

Maybe the old blue parts were sitting in bins with a "sunny" exposure at the
factory for a long time before they were included in sets.  I can't think of
another factor to affect ABS yellowing.

Gary Istok