 General / 52825
Re: funny article from the Philly show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 01:21:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Felix Greco wrote:
   <http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060710/NEWS01/607100351/1006
   “LEGO Trains Tantalize the Standard Male Brain”>, from the Courier Post Online.

I found this line interesting, “I didn’t know you could do that with Legos,” my wife allowed at one point. But I could hear the sentiment left unsaid:”Or why you’d want to.”

I’ve never had anything like that said to me. I’ve heard other builders talk about bad encounters like that, but I have personally not had one. In fact, I’d say for the most part anyone I have encountered has been very enthusiastic about adult builders and what they do.

The only comments I’ve come across that could be interpreted as negative were “You must have a lot of time on your hands.” or “How do you afford all this?” I’m not offended by these reactions because the casual observer does not realize they are seeing MOCs built over the past few years and a collection that took 15 years to buy. I will also tell them the average American watches TV more than four hours a day, I’d say using that time to build with LEGO is a very healthy alternative.

But, back to the article, I’m married and I know my wife doesn’t really get the appeal for me. The only thing she knows is that its important to me and it makes me happy. What more do you need? I don’t get why she watches The View and Oprah, but if its important to her she can have it.

Well put. Seems to me that there are some underlying issues with the author and his wife;-)

JOHN