 General / 52389
Re: Murfle?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:35:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

I think it's a good compromise solution. It is still possible to see the
original message but it requires action rather than accident. People are not
meant to swear on Lugnet and if they don't pull their message then I think this
is a fair balance between them making their point and readers not having to see
what they don't want to.

Tim

Tim, I agree, to a point, I don't really care if LUGNET decides that
"murflement" is THEIR answer.

I don't know Suz or Todd, to any great degree aside from having the pleasure of
meeting them both, but I feel I have conversed with Todd enough to know that he,
at least at one time felt the same way I do about any level of censorship.  Or
at least that was always my take on it.

Not my sandbox, not my place to say... but I do have some questions, and as a
poster, I would like the "rules" clarified to some degree.  (Please excuse the
long windedness... it's a button with me, my apologies in advance)

So, has Todd had a change of heart??? Maybe.
Is this Suz's vision? I am not the one to know nor judge.
To be honest, I am not really sure who is running or making decisions here
anymore, and maybe its not even my business, but change does lead to many
questions, at least in my mind.  I know that I am not the only other member that
has questions, but by no means am I narcissistic enough to claim I speak for
anyone else, for sure, not the majority, and more than likely not even the
minority.
Has someone else taken over???
Is there a new vision for Lugnet??

Sure.  Whatever.  No skin off my back.
I have my own place, where I can say can use profanity anytime I want.  My
home... and other places I inhabit on the web too.

I have never had a problem keeping that side of me, completely off of Lugnet,
and I will continue to follow the status quo. (Read me loud and clear, I am not
asking for the "right" to swear.)

I am also cool with whoever or whatever decided that LUGNET would take a new
approach to their "problems".

BUT, what I am not cool with, and what has upset me is the covert way it all
went down.

Again, yes, I know, not my sandbox, but I like to be aware of the "rules" BEFORE
I play a game, and I would like to be aware of the "punishment" before I ever
decide if breaking the rules is a place I want to go.

Sure, I will give the whole argument over to those that think an extra click
might not even be "real" censorship... and truly, for me, its not even about the
"censorship".  And yeah, I am clearly aware, today it's just covering a
"questionable" word... but what about tomorrow???

Will Mr or Mrs Murfleman cover up click hinges??? Bley discussions?? Auctions in
the wrong forum??? Notes of a more personal degree??? Off topic stuff???
Gratuitous praise, or unflattering reviews, or disillusionment with TLC??? Over
use of question marks??????

I fear not what has happened, (heck, my fear wouldn't change anything anyway)
but I do fear what it could become.  I do fear the unknown.

I was involved in the whole self imploding committee that first was introduced
to this idea of "murflement" (which I was told was Todd's innovation, but never
used) and at that time, no one was clear what it would cover.
How it would be implemented, and just who would be the implementer??
Now its happening and we know even less...
Who did it, when did it happen, and more importantly where are their limits???
Those were the questions that were asked, and afaik, they were never answered to
any final decision.

Before we knew it, the committee blew up, and I was happy to see the unexplained
murfle die.  I am bummed to see him reincarnated, because we really have no idea
what sort of beast he is.

For the third time, just to say "yeah, I know, not my sandbox", but since I do
play here, and the physical workings of this forum do severally impact usage, I
am wondering if it is at all possible, could we have at least a bit of feedback
of what this will mean for Lugnet.

Thanks for your time,
Sincerely
Janey "Red Brick"