 General / 52341
Re: Interesting old packaging variants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:06:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Roy Gal wrote:
   Hi all, I just got second copies of a few older sets in my collection, and found some interesting packaging variants. The biggest change was with Set 120 from 1966. I have two copies, both US/Samsonite versions. The packaging is pretty different. Pictures are at this Brickshelf folder.

Version 1 has a slide out cardboard tray (that should have 3 small plastic trays in it, but which are missing). The front reads: Ages 3 to 8 Lego&174; Building Toy A Quality Product of Samsonite Corporation Licensed under one or more of U.S. Patents: 3,005,282 3,034,254 The side reads “Fun-Creative-Educational”. The top reads “A Building Set for Every Age - for Boys and Girls Alike.” The bottom reads “Building Possibilities Grow as Your Lego Collection Grows.”

Version 2 has side box flaps, and a single 3-compartment grey plastic tray that can be slid out once a flap is opened. The front reads For All Ages Lego &174; Building Toy A Quality Product of Samsonite Corporation Denver, Colorado 80217 Some of the parts in the Lego System are manufactured in Denmark Licensed under one or more of U.S. Patents: 3,005,282 3,034,254 3,162,973 3,234,683 3,236,004 3,242,610 3,284,946 3,346,775 The sides and top just say “120 piece Starter Set”

These were likely made in different years. How long was this set out?

The other set with small changes is 450 Forklift. In this case, one box says “Lego sets are especially intended for children 4 years and older” on the top right of the box front, while the other does not. They are both US versions. One says “Copyright 1973 Lego” and the other says “Copyright 1973 Lego A/S” on the back.

Just a bit of trivia.

Roy

The #120 set was produced from 1966-72 in USA (and 1966-73 in Canada). You have encountered 2 of the box variations. There are more than just 2 however. Sets from 1949-73 have many many packing variations and box style changes. Basic set #700/1 comes in 11 different box designs, and about 20 packing variations. Of course #700/1 was produced from 1949-65, a total of 17 years.

Gary Istok