 General / 52319
52318  |  52320
Subject:
my thoughts on the 2006 line so far
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 02:34:30 GMT

This is based on what Brickset lists under "2006"
Lego really needs to make less moulds and in particular, less new moulds.
They keep making new moulds for sets instead of re-using their old ones.
Some lines are worse for this than others.

Here is my thoughts on the products announced for 2006 so far and whether I
think they should go or stay.

Watches. Lego should stop making watches and clocks (as well as bags,
lunchboxes, clothing and other non-building-set items) and concentrate on
making building sets.

Duplo Thomas. IMO, the Thomas sets should only be continued IF lego can
secure the rights to sell them in north america, australia etc. The sets
themeselves are great (for the target audience) but if the market is
limited to various european countries, it seems like too small a market.

Football. The first Soccer sets were good and if they do the smart thing
and market them heavily around the time of Germany 2006 world soccer cup,
they will make great money I recon.

Spongebob Squarepants. This I like, the show is still playing (and still
popular), it even rated enough to get a cinema feature film.

Avitar. I dont know how popular the show is or how long-lasting it is (or
appears to be) but to me it looks like its not going to last (it will
probobly disappear and be replaced with another "fad-of-the-moment" show).
Although Avitar seems to be targeted at a slightly older audience than
things like Spongebob which is probobly why it makes sense for lego to do it.

As for the Nick licence overall, I think lego should do more Duplo stuff
with some of the Nick Jr things (maybe that "Blues Clues" one)

X-Pods are great, keep making them LEGO (just dont make one with case parts
in Bley thanks :)

Creator/Designer sets. Assuming you dont care about the bley (which is true
of most people), these sets are still just as good as they always were.

Duplo Lego Ville sets. These are all generally good, the zoo sets have a
great range of animals :)

Starwars should definatly be continued, there are some set ideas that I
think lego could make a killing on, most notably an Ultimate Collectors
Series Millenium Falcon.

Vikings I dont know about, did the sets sell?

I think clikits should be abandoned (the evidence I have seen shows they
dont seem to be selling well, I could be wrong though)

Belville, also I dont know about.

Exo-Force is a good idea, mecha of all kinds are quite popular. Plus, this
theme doesnt have very many piece moulds that cant be used elsewhere.

Batman is great (especially now with Batman Begins).
IMO, they should do a Batman Begins batmobile.
The idea of an Ultimate Collectors Series batmobile is great too :)

The other duplo items like castle and pirate are great too.

City is a theme that should definatly be continued.
The ambulance and medical sets are GREAT, as are the airport and
construction sets. The new battery operated trains make great sense too
(although IMO they should have used radio control instead of infra-red)

The technic sets are top-notch too (are those bulldozer links on the
crane???) That tow-truck is one of the best technic sets we have had in years.

Mindstorms NXT promises to be one great set too :) (only downside is all
the bley, I wish TLC would release a set or pack with a big pile of bley
and only bley technic parts so that people with no bley technic can aquire
lots of it to go with their NXTs)

The non racing Ferrari sets are great, ferrari IS one of the most
desierable car brands in the world. As for the F1 sets, lego seems to be
onto a winner there too. (even if you dont like Ferrari, buy them for the
parts)

Radio control was a mistake IMO, the lego RC cars arent as good as those
from manufacturers like Tyco.

The large Knights Kingdom figures are also a mistake, lego is not an action
figure company and shouldnt try to be. Judging by the number of knights
kingdom cans I have seen around lately, seems like other consumers aggree
with me :)

The smaller KK sets (with figures) should be continued, its nice to see a
theme that might actually last more than 1 or 2 years.

The small canister racers are great since they are really cheap (perfect
pocket money purchases) and they look like they would be fun to "race"
around the house with. The larger racers are also good and should continue

Bionicle should continue but with less new moulds being made for it.
They already have plenty of wierd funky shaped bits (so many that I dont
think anyone has a complete database of all of them :) that they can use to
make next years new models (and still make them look different from last
years models)