 General / 52208
Re: Brickshelf or Flickr?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:24:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, William R. Ward wrote:
For years I, like many AFOL's, have posted my MOC and Lego event pictures to
Brickshelf.  And I really appreciate Kevin's support of the Lego community
through the years, especially back when disk space and network access were a lot
more expensive than they are now.

However, the user interface is getting really out of date.  Especially when
compared to Flickr.com which I use for non-Lego images (though I haven't
uploaded much to either site lately).

--SNIP--
In fact these are all features of Flickr and not of Brickshelf.  So should I
switch?  The only thing really holding me back is the fact that a lot of people
look to Brickshelf for Lego pictures, not Flickr.  Is that still true?

Perhaps I can just post one representative photo to Brickshelf along with some
kind of readme referring them to my blog and/or to my Flickr URL for the rest.
Has anyone here seen that done?  Does it work well?  Brickshelf has limited
ability for handling text files...

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or ideas are welcome, either posted here or
by email.  Thanks.

--Bill.

Dear Bill,

My suggestion would be to use both and refer to both in any posts you make. For
me the advantage of Brickshelf is that it is Lego only and that is has Lego
specific tags. This means I just need to click through the recent additions to
see most of what is out there. I would not bother checking flickr for new Lego
stuff but will happily go there if I like something and am referred to it.

Of course I don't speak for anyone else but I imagine I am not the only person
with this system.

Tim