 General / 51707
Re: What Lego sets use Jigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:20:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Derek Raycraft wrote:
I recently finished building the Death Star II set.  In the set is a very simple
jig is used to align the panels of the big dish.  It consists of four green 2x2
plates that are attached around the edge of the dish.  These provide spacing
above a flat surface to help create the correct angle for the dish.  Once the
dish shape is produced these parts are removed and are not part of the completed
model.

What other Lego sets use jigs, and how are they used?

I would define a Lego jig as a part or parts that are added to a model during
construction, but removed before the model is complete.

8460 Crane Truck, for one:

http://www.hccamsterdam.nl/brick/scans/08000/8460/014.jpg

(I would have used PICSL, but for some reason page 14 won't load)

It's kind of neat to see such a building technique.  I always wondered how Lego
would pictogrammatically (I made that word up) explain some of the building
techniques I use, such as the "pry it as far as you can to insert a piece when
you forgot it" or the "use gerber pliers to pull out superfriction pin" etc :)

Calum