 General / 51699
Re: And I had to laugh!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:20:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Harshbarger wrote:

Hmmm... I think the "average consumer" (and collectors alike) need to
realize the position that LEGO is in. Under American trademark law LEGO
must make a continuing effort to distinguish it's trademark.

The company is probably posting statements like the one mentioned here
not because it is under any delusion that it will do any good, but
because if they don't... legally, it could hurt them.

Eric Harshbarger

Fair point, but I don't think the problem is so much that they're protecting
their trademark, but with the way they're doing it. The 'Fair Play Policy' page
has been up for ages, isn't that enough? Or if not, isn't there a more subtle
and/or friendly way to make the point that with this rather berating legal
message? I personally have no problem with it - in the normal course of events
it would never occur to me to type legos.com - but that seems to be the point of
the couple of articles I've seen so far.

Cheers,
Allister