 General / 51581
51580  |  51582
Subject:
LEGO Dreams
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:56:27 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

LEGO Dreams

It was nearly 10 years ago that Dan Parker, Steve Barile and I sat around a table dreaming of things that may be. Wouldn’t it be cool if we could talk directly to LEGO? Influence product designs? Have LEGO clubs all over the country doing the same thing we were just starting to do? And here we are, 10 years later and so it is. At the time, these things sounded like pie in the sky.

Now I find myself dreaming again. I look at all the AFOL talent that is out there – in terms of building talent, organizational ability and entrepreneurship. I take this moment in time to share some of the dreams in my head for the next ten years.

Ten years from now:
  • When people design or remodel their homes, they will make having a LEGO room a requirement much like many people now have media rooms.

  • will be able to sign up for LEGO building classes in their community, much like they would take a pottery or drawing class.

  • will be a monthly print based AFOL magazine.

  • will be regional, all LEGO shows much like Antique or Train shows that travel the country.
I suspect others have dreamed of these or similar things.

Elaborating further:

Perhaps one of the Architects or similarly talented people in the AFOL community will design the ultimate LEGO room for an AFOL. Everything from a building tables to the storage system and lighting. Browsing the web I’ve seen some very impressive LEGO rooms

With all the sessions given at regional LEGO conferences, much of the material for LEGO building class has been broached, pulling all that information together into a class format, convincing schools to offer the class, finding people to teach the classes are all challenges that lie ahead.

BrickJournal is off to a phenomenal start. I was so impressed I ordered the print version from lulu.com. Congratulations to Joe and everyone else that are working hard to make this happen. I suspect, however, the AFOL community may need to double or triple in size before a offset print magazine can be sustainable.

Enough talent is growing in the AFOL community where all LEGO regional shows can start working. Specifically, I’m talking about a shows where LEGO is the headline and people pay a fee to get in. Vendors give a cut to the show organizers. Some of this is already happening, but most of it is hinging on volunteer effort. To make is sustainable, a revenue generating model needs to become more established.

All of these dreams are fully within the reach and control of the AFOL community. LEGO will continue to do what it does – make the best construction toy in the world. These dreams could certainly be facilitated by LEGO and it is certainly in their interests to see these things happen and be successful. But these dreams do not require LEGO to participate. Those with the right mix of Passion, Stick-to-it-iveness, Acumen can make these happen – or perhaps their own dreams.

Admittedly, my contributions have been limited in the last few years. 2.5 years ago I married a beautiful woman I’m grateful to call my wife. We have a beautiful baby boy and another on the way. For the near future, my LEGO time will be limited as I prioritize my family.

Right now, my biggest dream is to raise a healthy family and I leave these dreams to others. Perhaps you will find some inspiration in what I’ve written here.

And that gets me to my final point. I’ve been involved in the LEGO community long enough to see so may dreams realized. But sometimes, those dreams took so much work that the fun left LEGO for them. I do not wish that on anyone. So my first dream for everyone is to keep the fun.

Play well.

Ben Fleskes

Part of the AFOL community since 1995

co founder of PNLTC