 General / 51272
Re: First Year for Minifigs is 1978
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:22:00 GMT

Hey,

My research for this article largely consisted in going through catalogs that used to be in the Brickshelf library, and I found no appearance of the poseable minifig before 1978 (across several countries). The first appearance of the non-poseable armless/legless figs was in 1975 catalogs.

James Stacey archives this article, which came from an official company publication, that also cited 1978 (this was celebrating 2003 as the 25th birthday of the fig). James also has the US patent, which is from 1979, but I don’t think that means anything because it often takes a while for patents to go through, plus these first were created in Denmark anyway.

Bruce