 General / 51267
51266  |  51268
Subject:
First Year for Minifigs is 1978
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 03:20:46 GMT

Allan Bedford just asked me what the first year for minifigs was.  According to
Lugnet/Peeron/Bricklink they say 1977.  But that may not be correct...

Some of the sets that show the 1977 minifigs are USA sets #588 (Police Station),
#575 (Coast Guard Station), and #590 (Firestation).  These sets all may have
1977 copyrights, but NONE of these are in the 1977 USA catalog.  They first show
up in 1978.  The European counterparts for #588 (#370) and #575 (#369) were
first released in 1977 with the minifig stiffs.  The European counterpart for
#590 (374) however was released in 1978 with regular minifigs.

I wonder if the copyright date reflects the date that the were indeed
copyrighted instead of released.

And it is doubtful that they were released in the USA before they were in
Europe, as the earlier Police Station and Coast Guard Stations in Europe with
the minifig stiffs show.

I would say that the first year for minifigs was 1978.

Gary Istok