 General / 50985
Re: Lego vs. Tyco: Legal Battle of the Clones
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 02:39:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jim Hughes wrote:
Gary:

This court case was remarkable for GKCs testimony that the original Lego block
was in fact a copy of the Kiddicraft block. There is a summary (which
is VERY biased) on the Best-Lock site:

http://www.best-lock.com/new/page.html

Since the expiration of Lego's major patents they have been aggressively
persuing competitors on the grounds of copyright infringement. The most
recent was the case for "Lego indicia" (that the pattern of studs comprised a
trademark) against Ritvik in Canada (they also lost this case):

http://www.marquedor.com/telemarque/archives/02-06-01b_en.htm

--Jim

Geoff Lilleker also has some speculation about Lego purchasing the rights from
Kiddicraft.  Seems a little less biased but I'm not sure what is true.  Select
Kiddicraft or Lego from this page:

http://www.personal.u-net.com/~lilleker/con-os.htm

Eric