 General / 5027
Re: Acronym acrimony
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:24:33 GMT

I would prefer "LG" as the "L" is intuitive. I think the "T" is in there • just
so folks don't have to type "the", as it's designation in the acronym is so
that people reading know that the subject in question is the corporation or
group of companies it/themselves and not the product, which is confusingly,
lazily and improperly referred to as "lego" or "Lego" rather than "Lego
bricks".

I agree TLG or LG are useful to distinguish between company and product line
(or brand).
But what's so wrong about calling the product line/ brand name "LEGO" ?!
It's not just bricks.
In the Netherlands we say 'Do you have any LEGO at home?'. It isn't just
laziness that we wouldn't say 'Do you have any LEGO system of play bricks at
home?'. Compare 'do you have any Coca Cola in your fridge?' and 'do you have
any Coca Cola brand soft drink in you fridge?'

This may get us in the old 'legos' debate again... :-(
Follow-up set to lugnet.lingual.legos

Eric