 General / 4936
4935  |  4937
Subject:
Acronym acrimony
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:36:45 GMT

I have always disliked the acronym "TLG" for the Lego Group.  I realize
that this is a term which rtl'ers adopted long ago - but it doesn't make
sense to me.  I am not sure exactly how the Lego Group is structured and
how decisions are made within and among its companies, but the term
"TLG" makes Lego seem like a monolithic company instead of separate
entities working under a guiding principle.  I am sure it would be more
accurate to (blame, praise, etc.) Lego Systems, Inc. for a lot of the
things we see on Lego Shelves in the U.S.  But I might be totally
wrong.  In any case, why is the "T" in "TLG."  Even when I have seen the
phrase printed on boxes, it reads, "...the Lego Group of companies," or
something like that.  Why not "LGC" or even just "LG," or (radical idea
coming) why not just call the company Lego?

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu