 General / 50165
Re: living in an ABS house?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:08:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joe Strout wrote:
The idea: could some enterprising company (ideally, TLC) develop a line of large
interlocking bricks, perhaps comprised of an ABS plastic shell filled with some
form of insulation, such that you could actually build a home out of it?

Security?  Doesn't seem like a major problem to me.  To break in, an intruder
would have to climb all the way up to the roof and start prying bricks off
there.  It'd be substantially easier to just break a window in a traditional
home.

But all that a burgler would need is a giant 1X2 tile with dynamite print...or a
ladder and a giant brick seperator.  ; )

On the serious side, you'd have to find a way to waterproof the roof.  I don't
think LEGO-like interlocking pieces could do that tight enough.  You'd also have
to make sure that the furnace and ductwork didn't come very close to plastic
pieces without being insulated, or else the heat would melt the pieces.  Heck,
if you're going to make a whole house out of LEGOS, why not do the yard too?
Your "grass" would never need mowed, and you'd never have to rake leaves.

David Gregory