 General / 50093
50092  |  50094
Subject:
A time of transition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:17:13 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hey all,

This post is more of a way to collect my own thoughts than it is to express
them to everyone, but it seems like the right thing to do since others may
share my perspective and be happy to see that they're not alone.  Depending
on your own perspective, you may think that this is the best or worst time
to be a fan of Lego bricks.  For me, it's bittersweet.  Changes have come,
not all to my liking, and some things will never return.  I'm sorry for
that, but the best that one can do is to enjoy what one has.  I still have
my hobby, though it won't be quite the same.  I can't change that, so I have
to find a way to deal with it.

Not everyone is having so easy a time with this period of transition, and
the flames continue to rise anew.  Unfortunately, when these kind of
eruptions occur, they tend to suck many of us in, regardless of whether we
have anything positive to contribute.  When I read the LONG threads of pure
vitriol that have been posted recently, I'm reminded that this hobby (or any
hobby) can become a real burden if one loses ones' perspective.  I don't
know if I'm going to send any kind of letter to the company because I'm
still not sure if I care enough to do so.  It might accomplish something,
but it won't do what I would really want.  That decision is/was completely
out of my hands.  The only thing for sure is that I will always have bricks
to play with, so that's cool.

To those who are tired of the discussion, I can only suggest earplugs (or
should that be eyeplugs?).  The debate will continue to generate
aftershocks, for better or for worse, for a very long time.  As long as
there's a difference of opinon (which only requires two people) this
community will have to bear the brunt of the disagreements.  Whether we will
bear them with intolerance or grace remains to be seen, but I hope that we
can find a way to communicate with one another in a civil fashion.  The
anonymity of the internet is a very seductive, powerful thing, and should
not be taken lightly.

To those who continue to participate in the debate, please find a way to do
so without the anger.  It's been a year, and I think it's high time we all
took that anger and turned it into something else.  How 'bout some MOC's?

Peace and bricks,

Dave