 General / 49472
49471  |  49473
Subject:
Early Lego 1949-56
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 02:50:14 GMT

I know that a lot of folks have been waiting for the upcoming Lego CD on the
History of Lego.  And I have been teasing you mercilessly.  It has been taking
longer because I kept changing the begin and end dates (encompassing more Lego
history).

Well now I have finally gotten enough research together to go all the way back
to 1949, the begin date of the Automatic Binding Bricks, which changed their
name to "Lego" in 1953.  I hope to have 100% of all early Lego sets and parts
included in the history.  I hope this is done by a December release date.

Here are a few more teases (but only in the nicest way :-)

- Before the classic Lego windows/doors (1957-79), there were actually 3
different sets of archaic Lego windows/doors produced from 1949-56, none of
which are compatible with Lego today.  The 3 types used the 1949-56 "slotted
bricks" side slots to hold the windows in place, not studs on top of the windows
that we know today.

- The first appearance of the macaroni (2x2 corner) bricks came in 1955, when 4
different types of macaroni bricks were produced.  They were two quarter circle
bricks, one without the notch of missing Lego on the side, and two half circle
bricks, one without the notch of missing Lego on the side.  Only 1 of these 4
varieties made it beyond 1957 and into modern times.

- The first Lego plates,the 2x8, 4x8, 4x8 right curve, 4x8 left curve and 6x8
plates, first came into production in 1955.  These "waffle bottom" plates were
produced in red as well as white until 1957, although red plates are very rare
due to a very limited production.  Beyond 1957, only white plates were produced
(with a few exceptions in USA Samsonite Lego).

Gary Istok

A Lego addict since 1960.