 General / 49423
Re: Are *we* part of TLG's problem?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 04:24:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Gray wrote:

I’ve been reading the recent articles about The Lego Group’s financial problems. Its sad to see a company with a long history of good practices in trouble.

But, it has occurred to me that we AFOL’s might be part of the problem. What do we do? Well, we buy lots of Lego - often far more than parents would ever buy for their children, and certainly far more than kids could ever buy for themselves. But, and here is the big thing, we do our best to buy most of our Lego on sale. We do that because we want lots of it, and because it is expensive.

I know that there is a large markup on Toys, so stores have quite a bit of ability to sell at reduced prices without losing money. But, I’m thinking that the stores don’t absorb all of that reduced price. I’m thinking that Lego takes some of the hit too. Consider also the recent sale items available at Shop@Home. Sure, this is old stock that Lego needs to sell off, but they are most certainly making less money from the reduced prices (some as much as 50% off).

I only need to look at what happens here in Edmonton to know that this can’t be good for someone, and I’m guessing that Lego itself is part of that unknown “someone”. Whenever sales of interesting sets are spotted by any of our members (some of who check the stores almost every day), an email about it is posted to our mailing list. The result is often a horde of locusts descending on the stores, buying up all of the on-sale items. Some goes into personal collections for use, and some ends up in online stores. Judging by the size of some online stores, we certainly aren’t the only group that does this, and there are likely other groups that are worse than we are.

When we buy up all of the stuff on sale, that means that parents and kids can’t buy it. That means there are fewer people exposed to more Lego, and quite possibly there is then less demand for new sets at regular prices.

In the past, perhaps the effect we had wasn’t that big. But, it seems to me, looking at projects people are doing, that the size of the projects is steadily increasing. That means the amount of Lego being bought (and how often is that at full retail price?) by AFOLs is increasing. Are we in fact contributing to the trend of fewer new young Lego fans because we are buying up all the cheap Lego?

Do we compensate for all of this by getting more people interested in Lego? Probably not, because what we do is just increase the number of people who are not paying full retail price!

Another possible contributor is the tremendous consolidation of the retail market for toys. What percentage does Walmart sell in the U.S.? Do you think they pay as much for their huge bulk buys as other stores do? I think we’ve heard in the past that they most definitely don’t. This is yet another reduction in income for Lego, for the same production costs.

Comments?

All good points! And while we (AFOL) might be contributing to the overall problem like you show we are a small percentage of the problem. AFOLs for all their wallet power (AKA $$$) are only a very tiny fraction of the total sales of LEGO.

The biggest problem with LEGO (in my opinon) are the kids and their culture themseleves! Kids grow up (or think they are more grown up) faster than every before. I remember playing with LEGO and my GI Joes until I graduated 11th grade in high school *cough* when I traded those in for girls. *cough* =)

My baby sister is in 10th grade and do you know that last time she played with a toy... 4th grade! 4th grade! I asked her freinds during her brithday party a few months ago in private if they still played with any type of toy (I was building a tie bomber at the time) and of the 15 boys and girl she had over only the boy scout kid (admitted to me that he still plays with hot wheels!) The rest stop playing with their toys whenthey got to middle school (6th grade)!

As is typically of most US kids the boys (which LEGO is really target for) don’t play with cars, action figures or LEGO. They play with video games! Those few that do play with the other toys eventually get “pushed” into the video game relm due to their friends. So you see we might contribute to the problem but the US “kid culuture” is the biggest factor. The US market has stopped marketing to “teens” and are now hitting the “tweens (age 8-13)” with all the stuff they use to hit the teens and young adults with.

Even if you have a “tween” who still plays with toys s/he won’t admit it to his/her peers. They might play alone but in the end the peer pressure is too great and the toys go out the windows for a cellphone, “dating”, “hanging out at the malls”, etc...

The age of inoccence as we knew it is no more. TLC as all the other toy makers have a smaller and smaller window to capture the attention of the kids.

That boys and girls is the major problem in the US Market.

-AHui

A&M LWorks