 General / 49303
Re: Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:42:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary Tabener wrote:
Does anyone know the scale of LEGO figures, both Minifig and Technic,
compared to that of real life?

Minifigs have an exaggerated scale compared to the avergage human. However, the
generally accepted 'standard' for minifig scale is usually stated as 1 stud= 1
foot, or 1:38.1.

Personally, I think guaging a scale of the figure is a mistake in the first
place, and prefer to scale from things of known height. Like Gary, I use a door
as a guage. Assuming a 1000mm x 2100mm standard door and a typical 4s x 5br Lego
door, I get a 1:31.35 in the horizontal (a scale better suited for buildings
where a bit more room can be appreciated) and 1:43.75 in the vertical (giving a
sqautifying exaggeration, just like a minifig).

1s:1' works well for vehicles and building exteriors - it helps keep the brick
count down a little, but for interior detailing I think the extra bit of room
4s:1m gives is very welcome.

I think 1:13 is typical for technic figure stuff, although I may need to be
corrected on that. I don't really build for technig figs much - their stumpy
arms annoy me.

System Scale, where full size cars are single-seaters and houses have a single
room is another animal altogether and works more by feel than by fixed numbers.

In short, it's open to so many variables, and initial assumptions that whatever
scale you reckon is right, is.

Scale is really a minor part in the appreciation of a model, and is only an
important issue when groups building a layout want a consistent scale from
everyone, and even that may be nothing more concrete than 'cars are 4 wide,
trains are 6 wide'

cheers,

Allister