 General / 49302
Re: Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:58:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary Tabener wrote:
Does anyone know the scale of LEGO figures, both Minifig and Technic,
compared to that of real life?

For what it's worth, here's how I arrive at a scale for minifig buildings,
vehicles etc.

To make things simple I assume the average minifig would be 6 feet tall (1) if
brought to life.  i.e. that the minifig _represents_ a being that is around 6
feet tall.

Then, measure an actual minifig. I find them to be about 1.5 inches tall.

Then it's a matter of dividing the minifig's actual height into the
representative height.

6 feet / 1.5 inches

or

72 inches / 1.5 inches

equals

48

So for my purposes I assume minifig scale to be roughly 1:48.

You can play with the representative height of the minifig and get other
numbers, but this one has always seemed reasonable to me.

Using that same logic to get a Technic scale you would use numbers like:

72 inches / 3.5 inches = 20.57

or roughly

1:20 scale (2)

I mean look at those long-legged Technic guys. If you brought them to life
they'd be at least 6 feet tall.  ;)

Where they originally designed to scale or was it a case of hmmm that size
will do?

Good question.  :)

Regards,
Allan B.

(1) This may be slightly taller than the average population of the real world,
but it makes the math a little simpler.  And I'm a simple guy, so it works out
well for me.  :)  Using a representative height of only 5' 9" you would find
that minifig scale is then 1:46.  I think it all depends on how tall you think
those little guys are supposed to be in their world.

(2) Depending how accurate you want to be.