 General / 49120
49119  |  49121
Subject:
The excitement of a new Lego color!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:15:48 GMT

"Yes I remember very well the excitement of finding out that Lego came out with
a new color.  My hands were trembling when I saw it right there plain as day in
the toy store window.  I was giddy with excitement at the prospect of getting a
new color to add to my Lego creations.  When I got the first pieces of this new
color, they were the "macaroni" 2x2 curved bricks.  I made a tall lighthouse out
of the precious few pieces I had in this new color."

The year was 1962, I was 9 years old, and the color was black. After having only
red, white, blue and yellow pieces to play with for 2 years, I finally got
another color to add to my Lego collection.  For a 9 year old kid growing up in
a middle class neighborhood on the fringes of Detroit, my 1 mile walks to
"Earl's Bike Shop" to get the parts packs of all my favorite Lego pieces was a
pilgrimage I loved to go on.  Every time I earned 50 cents, I used to go there
and make a careful decision on which particular parts pack I should buy.

And then there is 2004......  Today it is a whole different experience.  It's
almost as though we're all members of a "New Color of the Month Lego Club".  I'm
not complaining mind you, but it does make one sort of jaded when a new color
does come out.  After all how many shades of green or blue can we get.

I remember as a child getting a fancy box of crayons, called the "Crayola 72".
And some of those colors I had never heard of before.  Well at least now we
won't be shocked if Lego one day comes out with a new color called "Burnt
Sienna".  :-)

I was just looking at the Bricklink catalog seeing what colors the standard 2x4
Lego brick comes in.  It was 32 colors (without the 2 silver and gold limited
edition bricks).

If one were to add Cellulose Acetate red, yellow and blue 2x4 bricks to this
list, the various colors would be about 35. (NOTE: Cellulose Acetate red, white
and blue are different enough from the ABS versions, to make them elibible
(IMHO) as a distinct Lego color.  Cellulose Acetate white, gray and black bricks
are so close to the ABS color that to tell them apart can be difficult at best.
More often than not, the shine on the Cellulose Acetate bricks (shinier than
ABS) is the best way to tell them apart (aside from the common warping).

And I know what some of you are going to say, that the new gray, dark gray and
brown colors that have been the subject of so much debate lately should bring
this count up to 38.  I agree.

I think a complete set of all these color 2x4 bricks would make a nice addition
to ones collection.  I wonder if anyone has determined how many of these 2x4
bricks are actually found in sets versus the number that are available due to
the "extras" available from TLG.

Anyway, I am very pleased that TLG is making all of this available.  And just
think, 4 years ago we were all lamenting and complaining of the UNavailability
of so many Lego parts.

It certainly has been a long road since 1962.

Gary Istok
A Lego addict since 1960