 General / 49016
Re: Fake LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:21:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary Tabener wrote:
   Apart from LEGO are there any known issues where bricks have been made by other companies with the LEGO mark/logo on but not looking quite the same (smaller/different text)?

The reason I ask is that I have been buying LEGO by the kilo+ on Ebay and have been getting a few bricks that at a quick glance look like LEGO bricks. Upon close inspection these bricks have a different style logo and the plastic seems different and the bricks are warped (base of brick does not sit flat).

Or are these bricks just older type bricks from a time with different plastics and older manufacturing skills/equipment?

Some may be aged and from unpleasant environments (e.g. exposed to wide variations in heat/humidity), and older bricks were made from different plastic, rather than ABS.

Another possibility is it could be an illegal pirated clone. LEGO has had problems of copyright infringement, of fly-by-night companies swiping box designs and producing low-quality bricks then selling them as real LEGO. This LEGO press release has some details about that.

Kelly