 General / 48853
48852  |  48854
Subject:
Definitive list of LEGO Themes needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 05:27:33 GMT

I’m in search of a two things, and I bet some helpful persons here can provide:
  1. A definitive list of LEGO product themes;
  2. As comprehensive a list of fan-derived groupings, themes, and sub-themes as possible.
Why? What a question. ‘Cuz.

OK, I really do have a reason. I’m putting together a geeky project called LENNI (insert standard “no relation to Hoffman” disclaimer), as described in this eye-watering thread.

Most of the discussion there is technical, but a couple of questions require additional LEGO-related expertise. That means you.

One of the things we’re tossing back and forth is how to “filter” content (news, blogs, whatever) so people are able to define just what they want to read or see through LENNI-enhanced RSS or Atom feeds. (If I have my way, in a year everybody will know just what I’m talking about. For now, just smile and nod.)

So we’re looking at having content providers (people who write news or blogs) add some optional tags, also known as “metadata,” which can be used by software readers to just show what you want. For example, if you have 30 news feed stories, 5 of them might be tagged as Space. If you live and breathe Space, so to speak (you know who you are), you only want to see those five stories which are tagged as Space. And so on.

In order to do this properly, we need a full list of LEGO product themes. I haven’t been able to find one, although I searched exhaustively for almost 5 minutes.

But wait, that’s not all - act now and you can also help with FAN themes! You know, Sea Monkeys and CAD and SNOT, oh my. Groupings that are popular and well-known but not something provided by LEGO.

The current combined theme list (official and fan) is something like:
  • Adventure
  • Aquazone
  • Bionicle
  • CAD
  • Castle
  • Clikits
  • Dacta
  • Duplo
  • Harry Potter
  • Mecha
  • Micro
  • Model Team
  • Mosaic
  • Pirate
  • Robotics
  • Sculpture
  • SNOT
  • Space
  • Sports
  • Star Wars
  • Technic
  • Town
  • Train
  • Western
(For any obviously missed - I apologize in advance.)

Yes, there are a couple of intentional omissions, at least for now - but I’ll add “Jack Stone” if you really really want me to. (I draw the line at Galidor. Hey, even us Bionicle peeps have to have something to look down on... and unlike other themes, a Google search of “Galidor Fan Site” just provides junk.)[1]

Please add onto the list or point to a more complete or official version. If we can confirm the official version, we’ll use that for one filter, and keep compiling the fan-created ones in another. There may be a vote at some point on which “marginal” entries to keep.

This list will live in perpetuity and be added onto at regular intervals (maybe yearly). For backwards compatibility we’ll probably NOT remove outdated themes, but they may become deprecated within the software at a later point. (Smile, nod. Nod, smile.)

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly McKiernan
Project Cheerleader, LEGO Enthusiast News Network Initiative (LENNI)

[1] If you’re offended at that and were thinking of helping out, I apologize... I was kidding. If you’re not going to help, I’m not going to apologize.