 General / 48830
48829  |  48831
Subject:
If you could wish for new Lego elements......
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego

Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:32:15 GMT

If you could wish for new Lego elements for TLG to produce, what would they
be.....  here's my choice:

__________________

1) a 3x3 low slope inside slope (double concave).  This would make it easier to
make low sloped roofs in more varieties, like the regular sloped roofs.
__________________

2) a 2x2x3 steep slope inside slope (double concave).  This would make for more
variations in making Mansard roofs.
__________________

3) a 2x2x10 Greco-Roman "fluted" column (hollow juniorized) element.  This would
be the equivalent of 10 2x2 round bricks stacked up, with a Greco-Roman column
base.  (see item #4)
__________________

4) 2x2 column capitals in the Doric, Ionic and Corinthian style for use with
columns (#3).  These capitals, and the columns (#3) could make for some awesome
classic style buildings.
__________________

5) a window (no surprise here!) in the same style as the classic 2x2, but in a
3x3 size.  And using the Spiderman Doc Ock's Hideout windows as inspiration, it
could have stickers for different window types in the same 3x3 size.  One
sticker would be a horizontal bar to make the window appear as 2 parts (one next
to the other).  Another sticker would be a vertical bar to again make the window
appear as 2 parts (one on top of the other).  Another sticker would be to divide
the window into 4 parts (mullions), 2 on top of 2.  Another sticker would be to
make the window look like a 12 small panes, commonly known as a "6 over 6" in
the building trade (4 rows of 3 small windows).  These small mullioned windows
are the type in quaint New England houses.  These different stickers would make
one new window type provide many different uses.

People complain that they cannot make their own house out of Lego, because of
the window situation.  This new versatile window with stickers would go a long
way in solving that dilemma.

3x3 windows in the classic style were actually produced once, back in 1957, but
only as prototypes.  This was when TLG was experimenting with new windows to
replace the old 1949-57 ones (that used to fit between the slotted bricks).
These old prototypes are discussed, and shown in a rare 1957 parts pack box top
picture for the very first time ever in my new upcoming Lego CD.

Gary Istok
Purveyor of Good Lego Architecture