 General / 48566
Re: Do you mention Lego in interviews?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:34:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erik Olson wrote:
I was wondering, does anybody have any stories about bringing up Lego during
a job interview or school admissions interview?

I mentioned it to a couple interviewers, and I'm not sure how well that fact
went over, but in general, I think it was beneficial. Helps kinda make you
memorable and whatnot.

Maybe it was not such a good idea to do it...

Probably depends on the job you're looking for, but I think in general it's
something that's well received. In the computer/tech industry, I think it's
encouraging, seeing as how often computer nerds like Lego (if only the idea of
it). Applying for a job as a lawyer or taxidermist? Who knows, they might just
say "uh... oh, ok."

In general, though, I found that being personable attracts interviewers. And
being someone who's interesting helps. In moderation of course :) I guess it's
one thing to go in and talk someone's ear off about Lego, and quite another to
mention it as one of your interests-- maybe even chatting about it for a minute
if the interviewer sounds intregued. Seems like NLP's (Non-Lego-People) fall
into two categories: "Wow, those Lego people are FREAKS!" and "Huh, that's kinda
cool." In my experience there's far more of the latter.

Though, you also said school admissions interview. Wow, yeah, definitely mention
it at a school admissions interview. The only reason not to mention it at a
*job* interview is if you come on too strong, you'll seem like someone who your
interviewer (presumably your future boss) wouldn't get along with personally.
But school? Chances are the interviewer isn't going to be working with you
intimately, so it wouldn't even matter if you're not that person's cup of tea
(but often the school interviewers are pretty friendly and get along with most
people).

Schools tend to look for extracirricular activities, an upbeat attitude,
motivation, good learning skills, good grades, and general intelligence. I don't
see how a Lego hobby could do anything but help. Mentioning TV shows and movies
you watch, and video games you play? That I could see *maybe* hurting in a
school interview, just cuz they'd make you seem more like a couch potato. But
apart from that, it's probably best to mention as many activities as you can,
especially the unique ones, to set you apart from other prospective students and
make you memorable.

DaveE