 General / 48548
Re: LEGO® Airlines ... where do you want to go?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:37:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Doug Eaton wrote:

   This looks amazingly like set 455. Has LEGO owned this plane for the last 29 years?

That’s a Lear, most of these pictured ones seem to be Citations, which are a bit newer, but they certainly may have had a Lear in the past and used the same scheme, it’s a natural to put a red stripe and tail logo on an as delivered aircraft (many of them are delivered in white with some sort of striping which you can ask the factory to omit)...

At least that’s my understanding from my readings of Private Pilot.

Note that owning and operating a Citation is a good chunck of change, many of these craft have operating costs in the 2-5K/hour range. And LEGO has 3!

Not to mention the cost of maintaining just one of these planes.

The owner of the auto dealer I work at just purchased a used Citation III for 2.5 million dollars. A new one can set you back starting from 5 million, and depending on configuration can reach tens of millions of dollars.

This may explain why I can’t get a decent raise.

And as for the Lego company, makes you wonder where some of those losses are happening. FLY COACH PEOPLE. But to be honest, corporate executives do often have the need to avoid long delays at major airports and find that owning a private jet makes it much easier to get into and out of major cities.

Some companies even share the costs of ownership or leasing with other companies in exchange for the use of the aircraft.

Steven Weiser