 General / 47933
Re: teachhing Lego Class -- Need Syllabus Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 01:50:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Paul Hartzog wrote:

I am hoping to teach a Lego class for the University of Utah this summer.

I am "required to prepare and submit a class syllabus and an outline of topics
to be discussed.  Legomania I: Ages 7-9.  Creates hands-on activities to teach
students about fixed and moveable parts.  Teaches about working models of simple
machines, tools and gadgets"

The class is:
August 9-13, 2004. 1:30-3:30 pm daily

so thats 5 sessions

I am interested in any Lego class syllabi that anyone has (even for
longer/shorter classes) as well as any suggestions that anyone has.

they want me to teach things like terminology, rubber band cars, some
explanation of why lego works, etc.

also, if anyone has any leads on other lego educators who could assist me i'd be
happy to hear about it.

much thx
-Paul

Lego classes? What? How the heck did you find manage to find that job, man? That
sounds hella good. I presume you're an accredited teacher, though..
Anyhow, I'm not a Lego educator, but I do have one suggestion that might help
you. You could have them build Lego trebuchets and catapults (maybe have them
build their own interpretations of such based off a general plan), you could use
them to demonstrate and teac about inertia, conservation of momentum, gravity,
structural engineering, and myriad other things. Little kids love catapults and
other such. I don't know if the bureaucrats would allow you to "encourage
violence by constructing such dastardly tools", but I think it'd be quite
useful.

I live in a state where the roofs of the dorm rooms at the University are being
held up by wooden beams that are held in place only by tension, no joke. No
wonder I've never heard of anything such as Lego classes, haha.