 General / 47445
Re: Reasons for the color change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 13:36:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:

* A focus group played with both sets of colors and prefered the new colors

* A color expert looked at the entire range of colors and changed the grays and
brown to be more "in line" with the classic colors red, yellow, blue and green.

* "good thinking"

* it was business decision

I think the color change was made because TLC tries to cut production costs.
Probably they now use recycled plastic to produce the bricks. They just didn't
manage to reach the same color again within a reasonable effort.
Grey is the most vulnerable color. You can see the slightest color engraving.

As far as the list of universal colors goes, I'm not sure it's a good idea to
make such a list.  Three colors are on it now that haven't stood the test of
time.  Shouldn't a color have to at least be in production for a number of years
before being considered for the "universal" list?  I think it's impossible to
say that something brand new will qualify for inclusion.

I totally agree here. I almost couldn't believe what I was reading. These all
new colors in line with yellow, red, blue, black and white! Colors that always
have been there!

In my opinion, TLC think's it's now more important to present themselves as a
thrustworthy and strong company, than listen to it's customers. This would make
them feel weak and inconsequent.

Could be that finally today's computer games, children and parents don't let TLC
a chance to exist at all. But how much more important should it be to look at
the demands of different types of customers?

Daniel