 General / 4696
4695  |  4697
Subject:
Another piece to ID
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 07:55:02 GMT

Well, since you all seem to be so resourceful at figuring out where parts came
from, here's a brainteaser for you...

I have had this piece for as long as I can remember, but I have no idea where
it might have come from.  The best way to describe it is as a 2x2 plate with
some sort of attachments on the sides.  The attachments to not follow any sort
of Lego measurement, but they expand the width to roughly 4 studs, and are
about a brick and a plate (or two) tall (but note that the middle is still just
a plate, so the whole is sort of U-shaped, with the extra height on the
attachments dropping down).  Complicating the description are two loops that
jut from one side of the peice, each from one attachment.

The piece is an orange-y tan color, unlike any I've seen in another Lego piece.

A very rough approximation of the piece, from the top:
    ________
   |  |oo|  |
   |__|oo|__|
     U     U

And from the front/back:

  ___-_-____
|  |    |  |
|__|    |__|

I *used* to think it was a desk for minifigs, but it is utterly impossible to
get it to span a 2x4 area to get it to sit as such.  It's a shame, it would be
a great piece for it.  Lately, I've come to think it might be meant to be
saddlebags for the older horses, built from parts (they were 2 studs wide,
right?  So it would span them) but I can't find a set picture that has it- and,
I don't have any Castle sets that old.

But, to my eternal spite, the word "Lego" grins happily up at me from the top
of each and every stud, just to keep me from writing it off as a clone piece.

So.  Any clues?

eric