 General / 45841
Re: Community Site 101
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:24:35 GMT

Todd Lehman <tsl@tsl.bu.edu> wrote:
What kind of iron does it need to run on?  Looks like we are getting two
Xeon rackmounts this week for LUGNET.  Does your code base run on Linux
or Windoze?

Plone is a CMS that runs on top of Zope. It's totally open source and
written in Python (as is Zope itself).

It's pretty cool, but it's a bit heavyweight in several ways. I don't
think I'd want to run it on the same server that is doing the rest of
Lugnet.

Also, what I said about the work overhead of PHP/MySQL goes triple
for Zope.

And, the document workflow stuff, while cool, can be confusing for users
-- I had my family blog site done in Zope (not with Plone, but with the
underlying Zope/CMF) and no one but me ever bothered to post, so I redid
the whole thing with a custom perl thing, and now it's quite popular (for
a site with a target audience of less than a dozen!). And it's a zillion
times faster.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>