 General / 45601
Re: Not just another Mega Bloks vs. Lego article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:29:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott E. Sanburn wrote:
Thomas & All,

Thanks for the link, interesting read. put my response to just general.

Here is what caught my eye in this article, Thomas pointed out some good ones
already.

Results were also hurt by soft sales of construction toys that let kids
build scenes and playsets based on movies such as the Harry Potter series.
Lego admits that it “mismanaged” the toy line and that interest in such toys
waned, contributing to millions of dollars of unsold licensed goods.

This is a fascinating bit of text. I was under the impression that most of the
licensed goods was a good seller, such as SW and HP. I wonder if it is in
reference to Galidor. I am not sure what else could be a bad seller, Bob the
Builder?

I inferred that excerpt to suggest that licensed (and juniorized, incidentally)
playset/diorama-style sets were less successful than the more interactive
vehicles.  I suppose we could both be correct.

Another interesting tidbit:

Unlike Lego, which uses its own mix of resins, Mega Bloks uses commodity-
grade resins to make its colorful bricks. Lego believes its proprietary mix > produces a higher-quality plastic.

Heh, I did not know that LEGO has their own mix of plastic. And it is
interesting that MB uses commodity grade plastics.

That's news to me, too.  I figured that both companies got their materials from
independent vendors, and that MEGABLOKS simply used a different grade of
styrene.

Very interesting.

Dave!