 General / 45449
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:13:44 GMT

After reading all the posts so far on this, and thinking about it some more I
came up with a few more questions/concerns.

First - TLC, allowing *any* site to have "Lego" in the main domain name is a
mistake. Unless Lego owns, the URL (which they do not in this case), makes the
content (which they will not), controls the content 100% (which they will not),
and has 100% access to the "off switch" - it should NOT have "Lego" in the
domain name.

There are countless other options out there as choice of domain names that will
not infringe upon the Lego name. I just see this as a blaring mistake that can
still be avoided -- you NEVER know whats going to happen down the line. Say Dan
Boger (I say Dan Boger because he is the one who the domain is registered to,
thus he is the only person with 100% control over the URL) becomes upset over
something and decides to put content on legofan.net that we rather not see
(could be anything from adult stuff to MB stuff). I know the chances are small -
but you never know, and you can't say that it will *never* happen.

Would Dan Boger (the registered owner) be willing to transfer the .com and the
.net of legofan over to TLC? IMHO thats the only "safe" option for Lego. The
same people could run it and all that - the only real difference is that TLC
would have 100% control over it and can "turn it off" if the need ever presents
itself.

TLC could still support and help out with a domain that does not have “Lego” in
the main part of the URL – example, BZPower.com, FBTB.net and Lugnet. I just do
not see why Lego would want to leave itself open to potential abuse in the
future when there is really no need for it.

Moving on - I have got the feeling that this new site is supposed to "cut down"
and/or "bring the community together, placing everything in one site" - how is
this so? Does this site plan to have everything on it? Will it have image
hosting like BS, stores like BL, forums like Lugnet? All I see this as is "just
another site to bookmark". I do not see how it is going to cut down on anything
or bring anything together. Can somebody explain this to me because I must be
missing something here...

Is this really going to be a site for "everybody"? Take the Bionicle fans on BZP
for example, would they be welcome on this new site? Remember, one of the
reasons there even IS a BZP is because the Bionicle fans were bashed and bashed
until they left Lugnet - and that was really the *adult* fans of Bionicle, are
you ready for the *kid* fans of Bionicle?

How is the community going to be brought together by this site? Is there going
to be links to all things Lego? Can I expect to find links to BS, BL, BZP, FBTB,
Lugnet, Peeron, Brickset among others to be listed there? Where do you draw the
line? What if a 10 year old kid makes a site on geocities? Will you include his
link - after all, he is part of the community correct? And how do you plan on
controlling what the sites you link to in turn link to? Where and how is the
line drawn?

Lastly, and prob the least important - why use .net? Boger owns the .com as well
so why not use that? Who thinks of .net as the default web addy? What is the
reason .net is being used over .com? Does it sound cooler or something?

Please do not read anything into my post, I an not trying to bash or halt
anything here. The idea is a good one, but something is telling me we do not
know the full, true motive behind it as of yet.

Oh ya -- one more thing.... how does my licence plate come into play here?

http://www.landofbricks.com/bz/plate.jpg

Just for the record - I had it long before the site was thought about ;)
http://news.lugnet.com/people/?n=3404

Mark P
LoB